It’s that time again! Tentacle Software is looking for testers for our latest Windows Home Server Add-In, Blackbox for Windows Home Server.

Blackbox for Windows Home Server provides in-depth real-time monitoring of motherboard, disk, UPS, and graphics card hardware sensors. Administrators can define alerting rules to take actions when a sensor exceeds a specified threshold.

banner-blackbox-sensors

banner-blackbox-rules

This is a preview release of Blackbox and is intended to showcase the major features that will be present in the release version, and to give our users the opportunity to provide input on the final feature-set.

Key features:

• Real-time monitoring of supported hardware sensors
  • Administrator-defined rules to perform actions based on sensor states, including:
    • Log the alert to a file
    • Log the alert to the Event Log
    • Create a Windows Home Server health notification (that appears in the server health status window)
    • Set a fan speed
    • Change the system power state (shut down, suspend, hibernate, or restart)
  • PWM fan control

Blackbox requires the following platform:

• Windows Home Server v1 operating system (“Vail” isn’t supported in this release)
  • Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 (installed automatically by Windows Update)
  • .NET Framework v3.5 SP1 (installed automatically by Windows Update)
  • A motherboard with supported hardware sensors (most ITE* chips, CPU thermal sensors, hard drive SMART sensors, and UPS battery sensors are supported)

If you’re interested in participating in the initial closed CTP, please get in touch (and when you fire off the message, please include the specs of your server). We’re looking for testers who are just as excited about Blackbox as we are, and who want to contribute to making Blackbox as awesome as it can be. Edit: We’ve got the first round of testing covered, but look out for more opportunities soon!

We’ve sent out copies of Blackbox to some of the major Windows Home Server community sites, and you can find preview articles from them here:

posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:56 AM | Filed Under [ Windows Home Server Site Development ]

Comments

# re: Announcing Blackbox for Windows Home Server CTP (david bowater @ 8/29/2010 1:31 AM)

Hi Sam

Just found the info I was looking for

David

# re: Announcing Blackbox for Windows Home Server CTP (Stephen Edworthy @ 8/29/2010 5:00 AM)

I have a failing disk in my Tranquil WhS v1 box, so could easily test the alerting features. Luckily, I has a stable system disk and the 2nd disk in not in my storage pool, but a backup disk. I would like to test out the Blackbox add-in when available.

# re: Announcing Blackbox for Windows Home Server CTP (Robert @ 9/1/2010 10:38 AM)

Would you be able to make a Windows 7/Vista Side Bar Gadget to go along with this Add-In that would display some/all of the hardware stats? Such as CPU & Hard Drive Temps. If not, could you expose a service that I could create the Side Bar Gadget to absorb?

Thank you.

# re: Announcing Blackbox for Windows Home Server CTP (Sam Wood @ 9/9/2010 9:52 PM)

Hi Robert,

Client-side stuff isn't on the roadmap at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind. Are you looking for a way to view the server's stats outside the WHS console, or do you want the gadget to display the client's stats?

# re: Announcing Blackbox for Windows Home Server CTP (gerd @ 10/30/2010 10:02 PM)

Wen come the release from this Software. I need a tool to config my fan.
Do you know it works on a acer h340. Fan speed is working.

Thanks

# re: Announcing Blackbox for Windows Home Server CTP (Scott @ 1/26/2011 10:56 AM)

Sam:

I have a Dell Perc R210 server configures with WHS. I have a hardware raid controller and I really need a way to monitor it. I can monitor it via Event Viewer entries. May I try your software to see if we can get it to do this?

Thanks, Scott

# re: Announcing Blackbox for Windows Home Server CTP (George @ 3/28/2011 4:06 AM)

Hi there. Is Blackbox available? I do not see it available under Products. I am about to purchase Disk Management add-in, but I also would like to have Blackbox production version (not beta).

Thanks.

# When will the start of sales? (Yuriy Vassilenko @ 10/9/2011 5:53 PM)

Guys, when will be available the BlackBox?
It's no good to hide a good product!

Title *