The new shiny GUI for v1.1 is going out to beta testers soon (hit the Contact link if you’d like to play), so I thought it would be fun to go back through the history of WHS Disk Management and have a look at how we used to do things.

By random chance, I happened to save screenshots of all the previous flavours of the interface, so we can do it in pictures!

Hello World

Here is my very first attempt at an Add-In. You can tell I’m using Brendan’s templates here because of the icon. Check out the “Storage Balanced” date: 8th of January, 2008!

whs_console

A Working Add-In

We’ve got working code now, and according to the timestamp on the screenshot it’s only a day later: 9th of January, 2008.

whs_diskmanagement

With Wireframe

Awesome isometric perspective! Just goes to show how valuable my high school technical drawing classes were; behold the mighty 30/60 degree split. We’re now at 5th of April, 2008.

Image1 whsdiskmgt.image02

Going 3D

And here I am, having written my own 3D engine entirely using managed GDI+ code. This is the interface we’ve all come to know and love. The GUI has remained essentially unchanged since 24th of June 2008.

1.0.8.4_Main_Tab 1.0.8.4_Settings_Tab_Editing_Wireframe

So what’s next?

I can’t ruin the surprise now, after waiting so long! Look for a post soon with the juicy details.

posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 4:07 PM | Filed Under [ Windows Home Server Site Development ]

Comments

# re: Windows Home Server Disk Management, a retrospective (Ross Hawkins @ 8/21/2009 4:33 PM)

What's next? My vote goes to writing and implementing a 4D engine!

# re: Windows Home Server Disk Management, a retrospective (Sam Wood @ 8/21/2009 4:37 PM)

Hmm, I think I'd have to target .NET 4.0 to use System.TimeTravel.

# re: Windows Home Server Disk Management, a retrospective (Simon @ 8/22/2009 5:40 PM)

Nice! This is the add-in I consult the more, because I can see very easily the data transfer of my drives.

# re: Windows Home Server Disk Management, a retrospective (konrad @ 8/23/2009 2:28 AM)

Looking forward the surprise

if ya want a beta tester let me know

# re: Windows Home Server Disk Management, a retrospective (Michael @ 11/11/2009 7:43 AM)

I have been hearing of the next version, and you've listed that it's comming soon, but when?

# re: Windows Home Server Disk Management, a retrospective (Sam Wood @ 11/11/2009 8:07 AM)

Hi Michael,

No firm release date yet. Done when it's done etc.

Title *